The Safe Streets Act
The Safe Streets Act (S2004/HR 2468) encourages safer streets through policy adoption at the state and regional-levels—mirroring an approach already being used in more than 530 local jurisdictions, 51 regional agencies, 27 states, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the District of Columbia.
The bills calls upon all states and Metropolitan Planning Organizations to adopt Safe Streets policies for federally funded projects within two years. Such policies would apply to new construction and roadway improvement projects. Federal legislation will ensure consistency and flexibility in the processes and standards that direct road-building at all levels of governance. It will help ensure effective practice and proven safety measures become federal guidelines, leading to improved safety on community streets.
The Safe Streets Act was introduced in the Senate by Senators Mark Begich (D-AK) and Brian Schatz (D-HI) as S. 2004. We thank the additional Senators who have co-sponsored the bill:
- Sen. Amy Kobuchar (D-MN)
- Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI)
U.S. House of Representatives
The bipartisan Safe Streets Act was introduced in the House by Representatives Matsui (D-CA-5) and Joyce (R-OH-14) on June 20, 2013 as H.R. 2468. We’re proud to count an additional 32 representatives as co-sponsors:
- Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR-3)
- Rep. Susan Brooks (R-IN-5)
- Rep. Julia Brownley (D-CA-26)
- Rep. André Carson (D-IN-7)
- Rep. Matt Cartwright (D-PA-17)
- Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-VA-11)
- Rep. Rodney Davis (R-IL-13)
- Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN-5)
- Rep. Anna Eshoo (D-CA-18)
- Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen (R-NJ-11)
- Rep. Chris Gibson (R-NY-19)
- Rep. Michael Grimm (R-NY-11)
- Rep. Mike Honda (D-CA-17)
- Rep. Steve Israel (D-NY-3)
- Rep. Bill Johnson (R-OH-6)
- Rep. Ann Kuster (D-NH-2)
- Rep. James Langevin (D-RI-2)
- Rep. John Lewis (D-GA-5)
- Rep. Frank LoBiondo (R-NJ-2)
- Rep. Jim McGovern (D-MA-2)
- Rep. Gary Miller (D-CA-31)
- Rep. Gwen Moore (D-WI-4)
- Rep. James Moran (D-VA-8)
- Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC-At Large)
- Rep. Bill Pascrell, Jr. (D-NJ-9)
- Rep. David Price (D-NC-4)
- Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL-27)
- Rep. Carol Shea-Porter (D-NH-1)
- Rep. Mark Takano (D-CA-41)
- Rep. John Tierney (D-MA-6)
- Rep. Dina Titus (D-NV-1)
- Rep. David Valado (R-CA-21)
Your help is needed to build support for a federal Complete Streets policy!
Here are five things you can do:
- Write to your legislators now, urging them to support a the Safe Streets Act.
- Call your in-district office to set up a meeting with your Member of Congress or their staff. Use GovTrack to find contact information for your Senators or Representative and get tips for scheduling a meeting on our resources page.
- Call your Member’s DC office and ask to speak to the staffer working on transportation. Check out our suggested call script.
- Are you involved with an organization? Have them sign-on to our letter asking other Members of Congress to support the Safe Streets Act.
- Spread the word — tell others about the Safe Streets Act and how their support will make an impact!
Check out our resources section for talking points, sample letters, and more information.